Mathematics is an interconnected subject in which pupils need to be able to move fluently between representations of mathematical ideas. At Emsworth Primary School we provide children with the necessary skills to enable them to become confident mathematicians now and later in life.
Our mathematics teaching will:
- Promote a lifelong passion and curiosity of mathematics
- Establish mental methods based on a good understanding of place value in numbers and the links between the four operations
- Encourage the use of practical tools when appropriate
- Allow children to apply gained knowledge to a variety of real life situations
- Equip children with a range of approaches to solving a problem
- Ensure children use the correct mathematical vocabulary
- Support children when they face difficulties
- Highlight the importance and purpose of mathematics
- Provide the opportunity to work individually and collaboratively
- Encourage children to persevere and show determination
- Give children a broad, balanced and challenging curriculum
Our calculation guidance has been designed in accordance with the National Curriculum 2014 and reflects our commitment to ensuring that children develop the three main aims of fluency, reasoning and problem solving. It aims to strengthen continuity and progression in children’s understanding of the development of written calculations. We also encourage children to identify the best method and to make their own choices when problem solving.
Follow this link for access to the National Curriculum content for maths: